Slip and Fall Safety Tips
Tips to Watch Your Step and Protect Your Legal Rights
Knowing just what to do and what to look out for after a slip and fall accident can help protect you and your legal rights. So we've put together an easy list of safety tips for slip and fall situations.
Negligent property owners that cause injuries – whether it's at a home, business, or rental property – can be held responsible for your medical bills. Follow these tips below to protect your legal rights.
After an Accident Tips
- Get medical help as soon as possible
- Take photos – the scene can change and hazards can be fixed
- Collect names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses
- Immediately report the fall to the property owner
- Take notes on the conditions that contributed to the accident
- Place shoes and clothing that you were wearing during the accident in a safe storage place
- Contact an attorney before talking with an insurance company or signing any papers. Don't sign away your rights!
Slip and Fall Prevention Tips
Keep yourself safe and protected from falls by following these simple safety steps:
- Tread Lightly – Make sure your shoes have good tread
- Know Your A-B-C's – Always Be Careful – be aware of your surroundings and any changes to them
- 20-20 – Have your vision checked and wear any needed contacts or eyeglasses
- Listen Up – In many instances, hearing can be just as important as seeing
- Read the Fine Print – Make sure you read and follow any instructions when using ladders or other equipment
- Slow Down – When there's inclement weather, take extra precaution – walk slower and be on your guard
Safety Tips for New Parents
- Never leave a baby alone on elevated furniture including beds, tables, chairs, or cribs, unless you have secured guardrails
- Place your baby on the floor or secured in a crib if you must leave them alone for a moment
- When changing your baby, make sure the guardrails of the changing table are secured
- If no changing table is available, place your baby on the floor to change them
- Make sure all baby furniture meets current safety standards – always look out for recalls
- Arrange furniture so you can see your child from all areas of the room
- Lock or block access to dangerous areas of your home – steps, risers, etc.
- Make sure your child has shoes with good tread
- Don't leave your child unattended on balconies or lifted decks
- Keep children away from open windows or window screens
Slip and Fall Safety for Homeowners
- Be sure you have adequate homeowners insurance
- Keep your yard free from clutter and debris
- Fill holes and depressions in your property
- Fix concrete or brick areas
- Keep sidewalks and walkways free from snow and ice
- Make sure you have appropriate outdoor lighting
- Install handrails on your stairs (inside and out)
- Secure rugs and runners with non-slip pads
- Hide cords and wires to prevent trips and falls
If You're Ever Injured in a Slip and Fall, We're Here for You
Slip and fall accidents can be extremely painful and keep you from living your life. Your injuries could keep you from working and rack up huge medical bills.
That's where we can help. If you were injured due to a negligent property owner, they can be held responsible for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Call us for a free consultation at 1-866-943-3427 any time. We're available 24/7 to answer your questions and get you started on the right path.