Slip and Fall Statistics
Find Out More About Slip and Fall Statistics
Second only to motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall accidents account for 15% of all accidental deaths in the United States. It's not hard to see that slip and fall accidents can be extremely serious, whether you're at work, home, or anywhere else.
We've compiled the latest statistics available to give you a broad overview of how commonplace slip and fall injuries are, and what you should look out for on a daily basis.
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
Falls at Work
- Services, wholesale, and retail trade industries account for 60% of slip and fall accidents
- Falls to a lower level accounted for 31% of contractor deaths in 2013
- At 25%, slip and fall injuries are the most frequently reported work accidents
- 5% of falls result in fractured bones – the most common injury
- Falls are the primary cause of lost time at work
- 22% of falls result in more than 31 days of missed work
Falls at Home
- 50% of all accidental deaths at home are due to falls
- Most falls occur on the same level, not from elevation (e.g., a ladder)
- Every year, 33% of people over the age of 65 will experience a fall
- With each decade of life, incidence of falls increase
- 50% of all elderly adults hospitalized for a fall will be unable to return to home after the fracture
- Between 20% and 30% of people experience an injury after falling including lacerations, hip fractures, or head traumas.
Slip and Fall Injuries
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries
- Falls are the leading cause of non-fatal medically treated injuries in the U.S.
- Each year, over 8 million emergency room visits are due to slips, trips, and falls
Injured From a Slip and Fall? Contact Our Legal Professionals
We're standing by 24/7 to help if you've been injured after a fall. Call us any time for a free legal consultation. We'll answer your questions and help you determine the best course of action for you.
It's always free to speak with our legal professionals, and there's never an obligation to hire our law firm once you call. We'll get you the answers – and the legal help – you need.
Remember, there's never a fee unless – and until – we get money for you.
"Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities" Bureau of Labor Statistics.
"Walking/Working Surfaces" Occupational Safety & Health Administration.
"Falls Among Older Adults: An Overview" Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.