What if I Can't Work After an Accident?

If you've been seriously hurt in an accident and are unable to work because of associated injuries, you are entitled to recover all missed income, money for your medical bills, and more.

It does not matter if you were employed full time, part-time, self-employed, or worked as a casual employee at the time of your accident—you can file a legal claim to recover for:

  • Wages lost from the job you held at the time you were injured
  • Missed earning opportunities

More specifically, you are eligible for reimbursement for:

  • Lost wages from missed days of work
  • Missed overtime opportunities
  • Vacation and sick days taken to avoid unpaid time off work
  • Bonuses
  • Money you would have made from missed business meetings, special projects, or job interviews
  • Non-monetary perks you missed while you were off work

How Do I Recover Lost Wages?

In order to recover for lost wages, you must be able to prove two things:

  1. That you missed work because of injuries suffered in your accident.
  2. How much money you would have made if you had not been injured.

Proving that you missed work because of your injuries will require careful documentation of income.

You will also need documentation of your injuries from your doctor. If you worked full or part-time, you will need a letter on company letterhead from your supervisor or human resources department with the following information:

  • Your name and position
  • Your rate of pay at the time of the accident
  • The number of work hours missed (including overtime opportunities)

Proving lost wages for casual workers and those who are self-employed is somewhat more difficult.

In these cases, it's best to gather documents such as pay stubs to show your average earnings from immediately before the accident. Obtaining a copy of your most recent tax return will also help prove what lost wages you're entitled to recover.

Who's Liable to Reimburse Me for Lost Wages?

Recovering money for lost wages after an accident can be complicated. Determining who's liable and filing a claim to recover the money you lost from missed work is best accomplished with the help of an experienced personal injury attorney.

Hiring an Attorney to Recover Lost Wages

If injuries suffered in an accident have caused you to miss work, it's in your best interest to contact an experienced accident injury attorney to determine the best way to recover lost wages. The legal claims process is confusing—there is complex paperwork and strict deadlines.

Call us today for a free case review. When you hire Edgar Snyder & Associates, you never pay a fee unless we recover money for you.

Review my case for free.

Review my case
for free.

An attorney will review your case within 24 hours, and we will reach out with next steps.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.