"Words to be Heard" Scholarship Contest Official Rules
Official Contest Rules
High school seniors who attend schools in western and central PA are encouraged to participate in the "Words to Be Heard" scholarship contest. Students must be graduating high school seniors who will attend a college, university, or trade school beginning in the Summer or Fall immediately following their graduation.
Entering the Contest
High school seniors can download an application here. Entries must be postmarked by April 26, 2019 to be eligible. Submission materials include:
- A completed application including a recent photo.
- A presentation (video/song/website/essay/visual art piece/or use your imagination) that discourages underage drinking and drunk driving OR texting while driving. The presentation can also highlight the dangers of these behaviors.
All of these items must be mailed together to:
Edgar Snyder & Associates
"Words to be Heard" Scholarship Contest
US Steel Tower, 10th Floor
600 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Submissions must be postmarked by April 26, 2019 to be eligible.
Students can use any of the following formats to discourage underage drinking and drunk driving or texting while driving.
- Video/Song: Video must be on a DVD or flash drive with your name and school.
- Website: 2-page minimum, 10-page maximum. Must provide printed copy of website and a copy of the website on a CD or flash drive labeled with your name and school.
- Visual Art Piece: Provide a hard copy along with a digital version on a CD or flash drive labeled with your name and school.
- Essay/Creative Writing Piece: no word minimum or max, typed and double-spaced. Please also send on a CD or flash drive labeled with your name and school.
- Or use your imagination
Feel free to be creative and include supplemental marketing materials for proposals such as, but not limited to, brochures, posters, t-shirts, etc.
Note: Students can work together to create a presentation. Each student must fill out their own application and prize money will be split between entrants.
Ownership of Entries
All entries submitted to Edgar Snyder & Associates in connection with this contest, along with all copyright, trademark, and other proprietary rights associated therewith, become the property of Edgar Snyder & Associates upon submission. Entry materials will not be returned to any entrant. By submitting an entry, you acknowledge that if you win the scholarship contest, Edgar Snyder & Associates will own all rights to use, modify, reproduce, publish, perform, display, distribute and promote the presentation in perpetuity without compensation to you or any other person.
Selection of Winners
Winners will be notified sometime in May 2019.
Odds of winning any prize depend on the number of entries received.
Use of Name, Likeness, Etc.
As a condition of entering the contest and receiving any prize, each winner and their parents or legal guardians will be required to consent to the use of their name, age, area of residence, and school name. You will also be required to be interviewed for any publicity for feature stories and interviews for print, online, and television. You must also consent to using your likeness and prize information, without limitations, for promotional purposes without further payment.
By entering the contest, you and your parents or legal guardians release and agree to hold harmless Edgar Snyder & Associates, and each of their partners or employees, from any liability whatsoever in connection with entering the scholarship, accepting any scholarship monies, or anything that may arise related to the contest.
For a list of past winners, refer to the links at the top left-hand side of this webpage.
Entrants agree to be bound by these official rules and the decisions of Edgar Snyder & Associates.
Have questions? Click here to email your question.