Car Accidents Caused by Potholes

Say you've been injured in a car accident caused by a pothole, or maybe your car was damaged because of one. Who's responsible? Beware – Pennsylvania has very specific laws about your rights as a victim of an accident caused by bad roads.

If your accident happened on a road owned by Pennsylvania (like the PA Turnpike or a state route):

  • You can't sue the state for property damage.
  • You can receive money for your injuries IF you can prove that PennDot had notice of the pothole or other bad road condition and a reasonable time to fix it.

If the accident occurred on a road maintained by a local government in Pennsylvania:

  • You can sue for property damage to your vehicle, but you usually collect little more than your insurance deductible.
  • You can sue local governments for serious injuries caused by potholes. You must prove that the local government knew, or should have known, about the pothole and had time to fix it.

Note—Time limits apply: you must file a claim in writing against the state or a local government in PA within six months of the date of the crash.

Think you might have a case? Contact us today to find out.

Reporting Potholes and Bad Road Conditions

If you notice potholes or other dangerous road conditions, report them immediately:

  • For state roads maintained by PennDOT:
  • Call 1-800-FIX-ROAD.
  • For local roads in Pittsburgh:
  • For other local roads in PA or in other states:
  • Contact your local government responsible for maintaining roads.

Need Legal Help? Contact Us Today

If you need legal help or have questions about your car accident, our highly rated law firm is here to help.

We know what it takes to prove your case and get you the compensation you deserve. Talk to us today, and we'll show you what we can do.

Related Case Types

Review my case for free.

Review my case
for free.

An attorney will review your case within 24 hours, and we will reach out with next steps.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.