2019 College Scholarship Contest
The 2019 scholarship contest is now closed—thank you to everyone who entered! You can see this year's winning entries here.
Your Chance to Earn up to $10,000 for Your Education
Are you a high school senior in western and central Pennsylvania looking for money for college? Want to take a stand against drunk driving and texting and driving? Then we have a college scholarship opportunity for you.
Our 2019 "Words to be Heard" Scholarship Contest is now accepting entries from high school seniors in western and central Pennsylvania who plan to attend a two- or four-year college, university, or trade school in the Fall of 2019.
All entries must be postmarked by April 26, 2019.
We launched this program in 2007, and since that time have given away more than $150,000 to help students afford college. The details on how you can enter are below.
Learn about our 2018 winning entries here.
What Do I Have to Do?
We want you to submit your idea for a presentation that would discourage your peers from dangerous driving behaviors. You can focus on drunk driving, texting while driving, or any other form of distracted driving. The presentation can be a video, website, essay, song, visual art piece, or some other option that you come up with on your own. Be as creative as you'd like!
Please check out additional details about the presentation types.
Note: Students can work together to create a presentation. Each student must fill out their own application and prize money will be split between entrants.
What Are the Prizes?
This year, an outside panel of judges will select:
- One $10,000 grand prize winner
- Two $5,000 runners up
What is the Deadline?
All submissions must be postmarked by April 26, 2019.
Who is Eligible?
The contest is open to all western and central Pennsylvania high school seniors who plan to attend a college, university, or trade school in the Fall of 2019.
How Do I Submit My Entry?
Then, send us:
1. The completed application including a recent photo.
2. A presentation (video/brochure/website/creative writing/or use your imagination) that discourages underage drinking and drunk driving, texting while driving, and/or any other form of distracted driving.
These items must be mailed together to:
Edgar Snyder & Associates
"Words to be Heard" Scholarship Contest
US Steel Tower, 10th Floor
600 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Note: Please test your presentation before mailing it in.
Here is some additional information on what your presentation should include.
- Video/Song: Videos and songs must be on a DVD or flash drive with your name and school.
- Website: 2-page minimum, 10-page maximum. Must provide printed copy of website and a copy of the website on a CD or flash drive labeled with your name and school.
- Essay/Creative Writing Piece/Visual Art Piece: Please include a hard copy and also send on a CD or flash drive labeled with your name and school.
- Or use your imagination
Feel free to be creative and include supplemental marketing materials for proposals such as, but not limited to, brochures, posters, T-shirts, etc.
Meet Our 2019 Winners
Springdale Jr/Sr High School
"Up That Road" Video
City Charter High School
"Be the Driver" Video
Cochranton Jr/Sr High School
"Quiet!" Distracted Driving Poster
Questions and Official Rules
You can find the official contest rules here.
Have questions? Click here to email your question.