2017 College Scholarship Contest
Your Chance to Earn up to $10,000 for Your Education
Are you a high school senior in western and central Pennsylvania looking for money for college? Want to take a stand against drunk driving and texting and driving? Then we have a college scholarship opportunity for you.
Our 2017 "Words to be Heard" Scholarship Contest is now accepting entries from high school seniors in western Pennsylvania who plan to attend a two- or four-year college, university, or trade school in the Fall of 2017.
All entries must be postmarked by March 24, 2017.
Learn more about our 2017 winning entries here.
We launched this program in 2007, and since that time have given away more than $100,000 to help students afford college. The details on how you can enter are below.
What Do I Have to Do?
We want you to submit your idea for a presentation that would discourage your peers from dangerous driving behaviors. You can focus on drunk driving, texting while driving, or any other form of distracted driving. The presentation can be a video, website, essay, brochure, or some other option that you come up with on your own. Be as creative as you'd like!
Please check out additional details about the presentation types.
What Are the Prizes?
This year, an outside panel of judges will select:
- One $10,000 grand prize winner
- One $5,000 2nd place winner
- One $2,500 3rd place winner
Meet Our 2016 Winners
Our 2016 scholarship winner, Gabrielle Stewart:
Clarion Area High School
Check out Gabrielle's Choose-Your-Own-Path Project.
You can view the rest of the 2016 winners here.
What is the Deadline?
All submissions must be postmarked by March 24, 2017.
Who is Eligible?
The contest is open to all western and central Pennsylvania high school seniors who plan to attend a college, university, or trade school in the Fall of 2017.
How Do I Submit My Entry?
Then, send us:
1. The completed application including a recent photo.
2. A presentation (video/brochure/website/essay/or use your imagination) that discourages underage drinking and drunk driving, texting while driving, and/or any other form of distracted driving.
These items must be mailed together to:
Edgar Snyder & Associates
"Words to be Heard" Scholarship Contest
US Steel Tower, 10th Floor
600 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Note: Please test your presentation before mailing it in.
Here is some additional information on what your presentation should include.
- Video: Video must be on a DVD with your name and school.
- Brochure/Booklet: Must provide printed copy of brochure or booklet and a copy of brochure/booklet on a CD or DVD labeled with your name and school.
- Website: 2-page minimum, 10-page maximum. Must provide printed copy of website and a copy of the website on a CD or DVD labeled with your name and school.
- Essay: Please include a hard copy and also send on a CD or DVD labeled with your name and school.
- Or use your imagination
Feel free to be creative and include supplemental marketing materials for proposals such as, but not limited to, brochures, posters, T-shirts, etc.
Questions and Official Rules
Have questions? Click here to email your question.