Steps to Take After a Car Accident
You’ve had a car accident – you’re hurt and your car is damaged. What do you do now? Who pays the medical bills? What papers do you sign?
Step 1 – Call 911 and Contact the Police:
- Call 911 immediately to ensure that any serious injuries receive prompt medical attention.
- File a police report, even if you’ve only been in a minor car accident. This is your best protection against inflated or false claims. Only discuss the accident with police and do NOT admit fault.
Step 2 – Preserve Evidence for Your Case:
- Take photographs and video, if possible, of the accident scene, any injuries, and any resulting damages.
- Make sure to obtain the following insurance-related information from the other driver:
- Name, address, birth-date, phone number, driver’s license info, and insurance info.
- The make, year, model, license plate number, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the other car.
- If the other driver doesn’t own the car, get the names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance info of the other car’s registered owners.
- The names, addresses, and phone numbers of any passengers in the other vehicle.
- Identify any witnesses and obtain their contact information before they leave the accident scene.
- Contact your insurance company to inform them that an accident has occurred, but refrain from giving a recorded statement.
Step 3 – Contact an Experienced Attorney:
- Before you sign any papers or give a recorded statement to the insurance company, it’s in your best interest to consult with an experienced car accident attorney.
- Hiring an experienced car accident attorney can help you to:
- obtain the maximum amount of compensation that you deserve
- coordinate a rental car or other transportation method to replace your damaged vehicle
- avoid having your words used against you by the insurance company or the at-fault party
- focus on recovering from your injuries instead of stressing about medical bills and lost wages
Injured in a Car Accident? Our Attorneys Can Help
If you’ve been hurt in a serious car accident, time is of the essence. The sooner you contact our law firm, the sooner we can investigate your claim, interview witnesses, and help build your case.
When you contact us for a free legal evaluation by filling out our online form or calling 1-866-9-4EDGAR, you’re under no obligation to use our services. And remember, there’s never a fee unless we get money for you.