Code Violations Can Lead to Slip and Fall Injuries
"It wasn't up to code." You've probably heard that phrase before but wondered what it actually meant. What code? Who defines the code? Who's responsible for keeping a building "up to code?"
Municipalities, state and federal governments mandate that buildings must be constructed – and maintained – at a certain level of safety. Department stores, hospitals, hotels, grocery stores, office buildings, and anyplace in between are responsible for keeping their properties free from hazardous conditions. This is known as Premises Liability.
These code violations can lead to dangerous slip and fall accidents. But how do you know if your fall was caused by a code violation? That's what makes these types of accidents so frustrating.
How to Spot a Business Property Code Violation
The unfortunate truth is that slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. But in many cases, they can be prevented, especially when building code violations are the cause of the accident.
By knowing what to look for, you can identify potentially dangerous code violations:
- Stairs with broken or missing handrails
- Crumbling steps and warped, rotting wooden stairs
- Uneven curbs that lack proper warning
- Insufficient lighting by stairs and curbs
- Absence of slip-resistant mats on slick surfaces
- Downspouts that pool water and create ice patches
- Improper maintenance of escalators and elevators
- Snow and ice that has been neglected or left untreated
- And many more
Renters Beware: Apartment Code Violations
Renting a home or apartment generally means that a landlord or management company will often manage the upkeep of the property. Your lease agreement should outline who's responsible for making sure the apartment is safe.
However, the following code violations could lead to dangerous slip and fall accidents at rental properties:
- Unsafe, warped, or broken stairs
- Lack of lighting within stairwells
- Slick surfaces without warning signs
- Unmarked construction areas
- Uneven curbs
- Untreated ice and snow in parking lots and curbs
- And more
Get Legal Help Now – It's Free to Speak With Us
If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, call our law firm for a free consultation. We're available any time at 1-866-943-3427, so call us today.
You'll speak with one of our legal professionals about the details of your accidents. They'll answer any legal questions you have and help you determine the best course of action for you.
We've been successfully representing injured people for over 35 years. Our law firm prides itself on determination and getting results. And as always, there's never a fee unless we get money for you.