What to Do After a Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident
It's sad but true: Most people will suffer a slip, trip, and fall accident at some point in their lives. Sadder yet: The accident likely won't even be their fault. Because slip, trip, and falls can happen anywhere—and to anybody—it's important to know what steps to take following an accident.
This is especially true when your fall isn't your fault. By law, buildings, homes, parking lots, and walkways must be maintained to ensure they can be safely traveled—a responsibility known as premises liability.
Premises liability means that if you were seriously hurt after slipping, tripping, and falling on someone else's property because of the owner's negligence, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, time off work, and even pain and suffering.
Know What to Do After a Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a slip, trip, and fall accident, it's important to remember that the steps you take immediately following the incident are crucial to building the best-possible legal case.
Here are five steps to take after a slip, trip, and fall accident:
5 Steps to Take After a Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident
- Seek Medical Treatment. Your health—or the health of a loved one—should be your number-one priority following a slip, trip, and fall accident. If you've been hurt, it's important to see a doctor so that your injuries can be properly documented. Those medical records will be important pieces of evidence should you decide to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Report the Accident. No matter where the slip, trip, and fall accident happens—in a store, on a sidewalk, or at a friend's house—make sure you report it to a manager, owner or landlord. Remember to get the details of the incident in writing—ask the manager, owner or landlord to make a written report, and request a copy before you leave.
- Document Everything. It's important to collect the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses for all potential witnesses. Their statements could help prove your claim if you decide to pursue a legal claim. Also, remember to take pictures of the EXACT location where you fell and make sure to photograph any stairs, icy patches, or other conditions that contributed to your accident. Jot down what you were doing right before the accident, the way you fell, and any other details, including the exact time and date. Also: Place the shoes and clothing you were wearing during the accident in a safe storage place. They may be relevant pieces of evidence later.
- Decline to Give Statements. Remain calm and limit your communication with the property owner or manager. Do not post any details related to your accident on social media. Decline to give a statement to an insurance company until you've spoken to an attorney. Do not place blame—and don't take any.
- Call an Attorney. When considering legal action, the best person on your side is an experienced attorney. Since many slip, trip, and fall cases are complex and difficult to prove, you are best served by the resources of a successful law firm. We have the experience, knowledge, and track record of success to recover the money you deserve.
Hurt in a Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident? Get the Money You Deserve
Many accident victims are unsure whether they need an attorney to handle their case. Here are three ways our experienced slip, trip, and fall attorneys can help you:
- We'll handle the confusing paperwork. Slip, trip, and fall cases are confusing and complex. Our experienced legal team will take care of all the details so you can focus on getting better.
- We’ll worry about the deadlines. People hurt in slip, trip, and fall accidents have only a limited time to file legal claims.
- We'll treat you like a person, not a case number — and keep you posted about your case in language you can understand.
Don't get stuck paying medical bills from an accident caused by somebody else. With Edgar Snyder & Associates, you'll get experienced, successful legal professionals who have the resources to win your case. Your team will be with you from start to finish.
We're available 24/7. Call us today for a free case review. And remember, at Edgar Snyder & Associates, there's never an obligation to use our services, and there's never a fee unless we get money for you!