da Vinci Surgical System Injuries
Victim of Intuitive Surgical's daVinci Robot? Our Attorneys Can Help - You May Have a Case
Did you suffer complications during or after surgery that involved the daVinci Surgical System?
Intuitive Surgical, the maker of the daVinci Surgical System, sent out an urgent message notifying patients that defective pieces of the robot could burn tissue during surgery. The defective pieces include the "-09" and "-10" versions of the EndoWrist Hot Shears Monopolar Curved Scissors. Simply put, these ‘scissors' cut and set tissue during surgery, but they can develop very small cracks and allow energy through, causing the burns.
Over two dozen patients have filed lawsuits against Intuitive Surgical for equipment defects and inadequate training for the surgeons who use the robot. If you suffered injuries, or if someone you love died due to injuries caused by the da Vinci robot, you may have a case and deserve compensation.
Medical Complications and Injuries
Injuries associated with the daVinci robot include tears, burns, and perforations, which can cause serious complications both during and after surgery. Signs of complications may not appear immediately, which may make it difficult for a patient to connect his or her problems with the robot. Patients may not even be aware that their surgery involved the daVinci Surgical System.
Medical complications and injuries that have resulted from the daVinci robot include:
- Burns and tears of the intestines
- Punctured or torn blood vessels
- Injuries to the bowel
- Vaginal cuff dehiscence – a potentially fatal complication that can occur after a total hysterectomy
- Heavy bleeding
About the daVinci Surgical System
The daVinci Surgical System, created by Intuitive Surgical, is a robotic surgical system designed to conduct minimally invasive surgery. A surgeon controls the robot's four arms from a console as it performs the following types of surgeries:
- Mitral valve repair – a heart procedure to correct the mitral valve (the ‘inflow valve' for the left side of the heart)
- Gastric bypass – surgery that divides the stomach into two ‘pouches' and rearranges the small intestine to connect to both
- Prostatectomy – surgery to remove all or part of the prostate gland
- Surgeries to remove tumors – both cancerous and non-cancerous
- Myomectomy – surgery to remove non-cancerous tumors in the uterus, also known as fibroids, that also allows a woman to be able to get pregnant
- Bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (BSO) – surgery to remove a woman's fallopian tubes and ovaries
- Pelvic node dissection – procedure to detect cancer in the lymph nodes of the pelvic area (usually too small to show up in other diagnostic tests
- Ovarian cystectomy – surgery to remove ovarian cysts
- Hysterectomy – surgery to remove a woman's uterus
What Types of Surgeries May Involve the daVinci Surgical System?
The daVinci Surgical System is more commonly found in larger hospitals and medical care systems across the United States. Surgeons use the robot to treat various conditions, including:
- Bladder cancer
- Cancer of the colon
- Heart conditions involving the mitral valve
- Heart disease
- Cancers of the reproductive organs
- Kidney disorders
- Different types of cancers
- And more
Did You Suffer Injuries That You Believe Were Caused by the daVinci Robot?
You may not even know whether surgeons used the daVinci robot to perform your surgery, but if you underwent a surgical procedure listed here and have experienced serious complications, you may have a case.
The first thing to do is to contact us to learn your legal rights. You probably have a lot of questions, and we can give you answers. Call 1-866-943-3427, or fill out the form at the top right of this page as soon as possible. Time is critical. Our phones answer 24/7 – contact us today.