Nursing Home Statistics
Nursing home abuse should never happen, and yet it's more common than you may think. At Edgar Snyder & Associates, we have seen the devastation is causes families – to see people they love suffer from types of abuse that are just unacceptable.
We've compiled a list of nursing home abuse statistics to help raise awareness. Knowledge is the first step in preventing nursing home abuse. Be sure to choose a nursing home carefully, and refer to our online nursing home resources and phone resources.
If you, or someone you love, became a victim of nursing home abuse, contact Edgar Snyder & Associates right away for a free case review.
Nursing Home Citation Statistics
- The average number of health deficiencies cited in nursing home surveys in 2009 across the United States was 6.7.
- The average number of health deficiencies per nursing home facility across the United States in 2010 was 9.37.
- In Pennsylvania, the average number of health deficiencies cited in nursing home facilities in 2009 was 4.7.
- In Pennsylvania, the average number of deficiencies per nursing home facility in 2010 was 7.44.
Common Injuries & Falls in Nursing Homes
- The most common injuries in nursing homes due to understaffing or other types of abuse and negligence include fractures and bleeding in the brain.
- On average (nationally), a nursing home with 100 beds has anywhere from 100-200 falls per year. However, many more go unreported.
- About 10-20% of the falls reported nationally cause serious injuries; 2-6% cause bone fractures.
- Approximately 1,800 nursing home residents die annually from falls across the country.
- In the United States, about 240,900 nursing home residents suffer from bedsores every year. This statistic is based on a national nursing home population of 3.3 million in 2009.
- About 8,600 residents suffered from bedsores while in Pennsylvania nursing homes in 2009. The nursing home population during that year was approximately 80,000.
- Nearly 20% of nursing home facilities were cited nationally for failing to meet standards of care for pressure sores from 2005 to 2010.
- About 15.45% of nursing home facilities in Pennsylvania were cited for failing to meet the standards of care for pressure sores from 2005 to 2010.
Average Cost of Nursing Homes
- The average cost for a private room in the U.S. is $77,745 per year.
- The average cost for a private room in Pennsylvania is $96,725 per year.
- The average cost for a shared room in Pennsylvania is $94,170 per year.
- The average cost for a one-bedroom unit in a personal care home or assisted living facility in the U.S. is $36,000.
- The average cost for a one-bedroom unit in a personal care home or assisted living facility in Pennsylvania is $39,936.
- Nursing homes charge anywhere from $60,000 to $100,000 per year.
Percentage of Understaffed Nursing Homes
- About 2.89% of nursing homes were cited for being understaffed across the U.S. from 2005-2010.
- About 1.69% of nursing home facilities were cited for being understaffed in Pennsylvania from 2005-2010.
- According to the National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care (formerly the National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform), without at least 2.8 hours of nurse aide care and 1.3 hours of licensed nurse care and .75 hours by RNs, residents are much more likely to experience poor outcomes.
- That equals a total of 4.1 hours of direct care per day. Pennsylvania's minimum requirement for direct care is 2.8 hours, which means many nursing homes still offer less direct care than the 4.1 hours.
- The group also estimates that 97% of nursing homes don't have enough nurses and nurse assistants to provide the care required to avoid risk to residents.
"Nursing Facilities, Staffing, Residents, and Facility Deficiencies, 2005-2010. Oct. 2011.
"Falls Among Older Adults: An Overview." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"Nursing Home Care." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"Cost of Care Survey: 2011." Genworth Financial. 2011.
"2010 MetLife Market Survey of Long-Term Care Costs." MetLife. 2010.