Spinal Cord Injury Statistics
Spinal cord injuries happen in all types of accidents – leading to paralysis, paraplegia, and quadriplegia. Those who have suffered a spinal cord injury know it changes lives forever. It can affect your level of independence, your ability to hold a job, and your quality of life. Unfortunately, these types of injuries are quite common.
We've compiled some statistics on spinal cord injuries and related injuries.
Looking for more statistics? View our accident statistics page.
National Spinal Cord Injury Facts
The following are statistics by the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center in 2013:
- 65% of spinal cord injuries occur in a vehicle or slip-and-fall accident.
- There are about 273,000 Americans living with a spinal cord injury.
- Nearly half of all spinal cord injuries happen to someone between the ages of 16 and 30.
- Spinal cord injuries often keep patients in hospitals for over 110 days for critical care followed by rehabilitation.
The following are statistics provided by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke in 2006:
- There are 10,000-12,000 spinal cord injuries every year in the United States.
- Approximately 250,000 Americans are living with a spinal cord injury at any moment.
- The average cost to manage care and provide treatment for spinal injury patients ever year is $4 billion.
- Car accidents cause about 38.5% of spinal cord injuries.
- More than half (55%) of spinal cord injury victims are between 16 and 30 years old.
- More than 80% of spinal cord injury victims are men.
Spinal Cord Injury Resources
Did you suffer a spinal cord injury? Do you know someone who was paralyzed or is living with a spinal disorder? Follow these links for more information:
- Spinal Cord Injury Information
- Recovering From a Spinal Cord Injury
- Hiring an Attorney for a Spinal Cord Injury
- Preventing Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injury Resources
- Spinal Cord Injury Statistics
Get a Free Legal Consultation Today
If you suffered a spinal cord injury in an accident, your life changed in the blink of an eye. Edgar Snyder & Associates can help you get the money you deserve.
We're here to protect your rights – just like we've done for thousands of accident victims since 1982. And remember, there's never a fee unless we get money for you. You have nothing to lose.
Call 1-866-943-3427, or fill out the form at the top right of this page for a free legal consultation. Phones answer 24/7, so contact us now.