Ryan Shazier Fund for Spinal Rehabilitation Family and Caregivers Support Program
Teaming Up With Ryan Shazier
Our firm has always been a fan of Ryan Shazier the football player, but since we’ve started working closely with The Ryan Shazier Fund for Spinal Rehabilitation, we’ve become even bigger fans of the work he does in the community.
When it was time for us to select the first official beneficiary of The Edgar Snyder & Associates Foundation, The Shazier Fund was a no brainer. They are dedicated to helping those who have sustained life-changing injuries, something we’ve been doing for more than 40 years. Furthermore, we both agreed that there is a group of folks who are impacted by injuries but often get little to no support – caregivers. That’s why we jumped at the chance to sponsor their Family and Caregivers Support Program.
The program is designed to provide, “…tangible, concrete support to caregivers and families of individuals with spinal cord injuries in Western Pennsylvania.” This is done through connecting families and caregivers with mental health and educational resources as well as creating networking and emotional support opportunities.
To date, we’ve donated $100,000 to further the work of the Shazier Fund. Below are some of the programs we’re honored to support through their Family and Caregivers Support Program:
- Family and Caregivers Working Group
- A group of individuals with a spinal cord injury (SCI), family members and caregivers of a person with an SCI, and medical professionals dedicated to advising the Fund on the design of its Family and Caregiver programming. This includes developing and organizing programs, events, and services specifically for caregivers. One of our partners, Christine Zaremski-Young, is a member of the working group.
- Woodlands Family Retreats
- The Ryan Shazier Fund and the Woodlands Foundation partner to give people with an SCI and their families a free weekend away at the Woodlands campus in Wexford. This fully accessible campus gives families a place to relax and connect with other SCI families all while having a great time. Participants can take part in adaptive golf, swimming, handcycling, and caregivers are given a special opportunity to gather with Michelle Shazier and share their experiences.
- SCI Street Fair
- The Fund hosted its first SCI Street Fair in Bakery Square on August 21, 2022 to raise awareness of SCI, the work of the Ryan Shazier Fund, and create an atmosphere for SCI families to gather and have fun. Over 150 people participated in the fair.
For several years we also sponsored the Penguins & Paws Calendar, featuring your favorite hockey players posing with adorable furry friends. Proceeds from the calendar – over $80,000 – benefitted Animal Friends.
You can visit The Ryan Shazier Fund for Spinal Rehabilitation website for more information, including how you can get involved.