Watermelon Agua Fresca
Subtly sweet, from the bodegas of Central America.
This recipe makes 8-10 8 oz. servings
- 8 cups cubed seeded watermelon, divided
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 liter bottle club soda, chilled
- 2-3 limes, sliced
- Coarse strainer
- 1 large refrigerator-safe container
- 8-10 8oz. glasses
- Combine 4 cups watermelon, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar in blender, pureeing until smooth.
- Pour through a coarse strainer into a large container.
- Repeat with remaining watermelon, water, and sugar.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours or until chilled.
- To serve, stir in club soda and garnish with lime.
- You can make this drink up to 2 days ahead of time. Just puree all the watermelon, sugar, and water and keep refrigerated in the container.
- Experiment with other fruits if watermelon isn't your favorite: Mango, strawberries, cantaloupe or honeydew are all good options.