South Dakota Dog Law
South Dakota does not have a Dog Bite Statute.
Common Law Liability
To establish liability, the injured person must prove that the dog owner knew or had reason to know that the dog had vicious propensities and that the owner was negligent in failing to prevent the injury.
Vicious Dog Statute
The Meaning of a “Vicious Dog”
A “vicious dog” is:
- any dog which, when unprovoked, in a vicious or terrorizing manner approaches in an apparent attitude of attack, or bites, inflicts injury, assaults, or otherwise attacks a person in public;
- any dog which, on private property, when unprovoked, in a vicious or terrifying manner approaches in an apparent attitude of attack, or bites, or inflicts injury, or otherwise attacks a mailman, meter reader, serviceman, journeyman, delivery man, or other employed person who is on the owner’s property with permission.
- Under this statute, a dog cannot be declared vicious if an injury is sustained by a person who was committing a trespass or other tort on the owner’s premises, or if the injured person was teasing, tormenting, abusing, or assaulting the dog, or committing or attempting to commit a crime at the time of the injury.
Liability of Owners of Vicious Dogs
Under this statute, owning a vicious dog is a public nuisance. A person directly affected by the dog or a government official can file a civil action or an action to have the owner abate, or stop, the nuisance.
Get Answers to Your Questions:
- Do you have a case? Find out how we determine if you have a dog bite case.
- Do you need a lawyer? Don’t go it alone. See how hiring a lawyer gets you a better outcome.
- How much will it cost? You pay nothing unless we win money for you.
Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.
Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.