Connecticut Dog Law
Under Connecticut's Dog Bite Statute, a dog's owner or keeper at the time of the injury is liable for damages if the injured person proves:
- that the injury was caused by the dog;
- that at the time of the injury, the plaintiff was not committing a trespass or other tort, or was not teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog; and
- that the defendant is the owner or was the keeper of the dog.
Under this statute, if a person was under seven years old at the time of the injury, the law automatically presumes that the child was not committing a trespass or other tort, or teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog. In that case, the burden of proof is on the defendant.
Under Connecticut's Dog Bite Statute, persons injured by dogs can recover economic damages, as well as pain and suffering damages.
Dangerous Dog Statute
Connecticut does not have a Dangerous Dog Statute.
A panel determines whether a dog is dangerous. The Panel may declare a dog to be dangerous if it finds by a preponderance of the evidence that the dog:
- killed or inflicted physical injury or serious physical injury upon a human being;
- killed or inflicted serious physical injury upon a domestic animal, provided the domestic animal was on the property of its owner or under the immediate control of its owner; or
- was subject to, or was used to facilitate animal cruelty or animal fighting as alleged in a criminal complaint or charge.
Get Answers to Your Questions:
- Do you have a case? Find out how we determine if you have a dog bite case.
- Do you need a lawyer? Don't go it alone. See how hiring a lawyer gets you a better outcome.
- How much will it cost? You pay nothing unless we win money for you.
Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.
Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.