New Hampshire Driver Licensing Law & Teen Driver Law

Obtaining a Youth Operator License in New Hampshire

New Hampshire teens are legally allowed to begin practice driving once they have turned 15 years and 6 months old. This practice requires a licensed driver who is at least 25 years old to be sitting in the seat next to the teen at all times. Once the individual has successfully completed a driver education course and has turned 16, they will be eligible to apply for a Youth Operator License.

A Youth Operator License allows New Hampshire teens under 18 to drive between the hours of 5AM and 1AM. Youth operator license holders may not drive between 1AM and 4AM. For the first six months of the license, drivers are prohibited from driving with more than one passenger under age 25 unless being accompanied by a licensed driver over 25. Passengers are limited to the number of safety belts.

To obtain an Original Youth Operator License, applicants need to do the following:

  • Must have completed a classroom course and log an additional 40 hours of behind-the-wheel experience, 10 being at night.
  • Get a copy of the New Hampshire Driver's Manual, either online or at a local Driver License Center
  • Obtain a parental authorization form and have it signed by a parent or guardian
  • Submit a completed license application
  • Bring proof of completion of a DMV-approved driver education course
  • Bring their Social Security card
  • Bring cash, credit card, or check for the fee listed on the application

At the testing center, a written knowledge test and an eye screening will need to be passed successfully. The Youth Operator License will be valid until the holder's 21st birthday.

If you are under 21 years of age and are convicted of a motor vehicle violation, your license will be suspended for the following minimum time periods:

  • 20 days for the first offense
  • 45 days for the second offense
  • 90 days for a third or subsequent offense

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.