Louisiana Driver Licensing Law

Obtaining a Class E Learner's Permit

A minor 15 or 16 years old may be issued a Class E Learner's Permit in Louisiana. This license enables the teen to drive while accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian, licensed adult at least 21 or older or a licensed sibling who is at least 18. While supervised, other members of the permit holder's immediate family are allowed in the vehicle.

To obtain the permit, the applicant must:

  • Successfully complete an approved driver education course consisting of 38 hours of classroom training and eight hours of on-the-road training
  • Pass written and vision examinations

The Class E Learner's Permit must be held for at least 180 days and cannot be upgraded until the holder's 16th birthday. Upon the holder's 17th birthday, he or she will be eligible for full licensure after passing a road skills test.

Obtaining a Class E Intermediate License

A Class E Learner's Permit may be converted to a Class E Intermediate License once the permit holder turns 16, has held a learner's permit for 180 days, and passes an on-road driving test.

An applicant will not be issued the license without a signed statement by a parent or legal guardian confirming the permit holder has at least 50 hours of supervised behind the wheel driving experience. Fifteen of the hours must be practiced at night.

Once the Intermediate License is granted, driving is prohibited between 11PM and 5AM unless accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian, a licensed adult at least 21 years old, or a licensed sibling at least 18 years old.

Upon the licensed holder's 17th birthday, they become eligible for an unrestricted Class E Driver's License.

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.