Kentucky Driver Licensing Law

Obtaining a Kentucky Learner's Permit

Applicants for a Kentucky Learner's Permit must be 16 years old. Documents required include a Social Security card, an original or certified birth certificate and proof of Kentucky residence. Additionally, a parent or guardian must sign the application, taking financial responsibility for the applicant. A School Compliance Verification Form issued by the applicant's school is also required.

The driving permit must be held for a minimum of 180 days. The following restrictions apply:

  • Permit holders may only drive when accompanied in the front passenger seat by a licensed driver who is 21 or older.
  • Permit holders must complete a minimum of 60 hours of supervised, practice driving. Ten of the hours must be at night.
  • No driving is allowed between 12PM and 6AM unless there is an emergency or traveling to or from a school- or work- related activity.
  • Permit holders shall not drive at any time with more than one unrelated person under 20 years old in the vehicle.
  • Before being eligible for a full unrestricted license, the permit holder must complete a driver education program.

Obtaining an Intermediate License

After holding a Learner's Permit for 180 days, the driver may apply for an Intermediate License and take the driving skills test. A parent or guardian must certify the driver has completed the required 60 hours of practice driving at this time.

After successfully completing the road test, drivers will hold the Intermediate License for a minimum of 180 days.

During this time the driving restrictions from the permit phase still apply.

Your provisional license also means you will be in danger of losing your license if you accumulate more than six points for traffic violations. This six points rule is stricter than the 12 points rule for adults 18 years old and over.

The Intermediate License is required before moving to the full unrestricted phase, which is available to drivers upon turning 18 years old.

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.