Washington Car and Motorcycle Insurance Law

Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for two or more people injured in any one accident

Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for damage to the property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage in Washington

  • Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage. In Washington, UIM includes uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, and it must be offered to automobile owners. If purchased, UIM must be at least that required for bodily injury coverage. If an insured purchases a greater amount of bodily injury coverage than what is required, UIM must equal that amount, unless specifically rejected by the insured.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This coverage is required to be offered to automobile owners. It must provide for a minimum of $10,000 in medical expenses, $2,000 for funeral expenses; $10,000 for income continuation, subject to a limit of $200 per week; and $5,000 for loss of services, subject to a limit of $200 per week per insured.

Special Rules for Motorcycle Owners

  • Insurers are permitted to exclude from their underinsured policies losses by persons "operating or occupying a motorcycle." However, if you do have insurance, Washington dictates the minimum liability requirements of 25k/50k/10k.

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.

Free Case Review
First Name
Last Name
Briefly describe your injuries