Texas Car and Motorcycle Insurance Law

Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $30,000 per person injured in any one accident and $60,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident
  • Beginning April 1, 2008: $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

  • Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage. In Texas, UM includes underinsured motorist (UIM), and must be offered to all automobile owners. It must be purchased in at least the minimum amount of bodily injury coverage required, and it can never be purchased in a greater amount than the bodily injury coverage that is purchased.
  • Personal Injury Protection. This coverage is optional for automobile owners. It cannot exceed $2,500 per person for all medical expenses, funeral services, and lost income. Rejection must be in writing. PIP is paid out without regard to fault.

Special Rules for Motorcycle Owners

  • An insurance company is not required to offer UM to motorcycle owners.
  • PIP does not apply to motorcycle owners.

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.

Free Case Review
First Name
Last Name
Briefly describe your injuries