Maryland Car and Motorcycle Insurance Law
Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage
- $30,000 per person injured in any one accident and $60,000 for all persons injured in any one accident
Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage
- $15,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident
Optional Insurance Coverage
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP). Maryland law requires insurance companies to offer PIP coverage of not less than $2,500 per person for medical, hospital, and disability benefits, as well as loss of income benefits of up to 85 percent for three years. Rejection of PIP benefits must in writing.
- Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage. In Maryland, UM coverage includes underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. If purchased, UM coverage must be equal to the amount of bodily injury coverage purchased, unless waived. In that event, the insured must purchase UM in an amount at least equal to the minimum bodily injury coverage required.
Special Rules for Motorcycle Owners
- Insurance companies are not required to offer lost income benefits under a personal injury protection plan to motorcycle owners. If offered, however, the insurance company can require a deductible, options, or specific exclusions.
Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.
Free Case Review