Kentucky Car and Motorcycle Insurance Law

Required Minimum Bodily Injury/Property Damage Coverage

  • In Kentucky, you can choose between a "split limit" or a "single limit" policy.
  • The split limit is $25,000 per person injured in any one accident and $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident. This also requires a minimum property damage coverage amount of $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.
  • The single limits is $60,000 per accident for all damages.

Optional Insurance Coverage

  • Basic Reparation Benefits
    These benefits reimburse the insured for the net loss suffered through injury arising out of the operation, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle. The maximum amount for all economic loss is $10,000, regardless of the number of covered persons injured. “Economic loss” means medical expenses, lost wages, and funeral expenses. If an insured purchases basic reparation benefits, he or she cannot sue a negligent driver unless medical expenses exceed $1,000 or if the injury results in a permanent disfigurement, permanent injury, permanent loss of bodily function, or death.
  • Optional Added Reparation Benefits
    An insured can contract with an insurance company to purchase optional added reparation benefits.
  • Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage
    UM coverage must be at least equal to bodily injury coverage. Kentucky does not set a minimum amount for UIM coverage.
  • Special Rules for Motorcyclists
    Insurance companies must offer basic reparations benefits to motorcyclists. Insurance companies are under no obligation to offer UM coverage to motorcyclists, and they are permitted to exclude motorcycle owners from this coverage.

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.

Free Case Review
First Name
Last Name
Briefly describe your injuries