Kansas Car and Motorcycle Insurance Law

Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident and $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Required Personal Injury Protection Coverage May Only be Rejected by Motorcyclists

  • Kansas requires all motor vehicle liability policies to include PIP benefits to pay rehabilitation, disability, and funeral expenses of the insured and the insured’s passengers. Medical and rehabilitation benefits cannot be less than $4,500 per person; disability must be purchased at a maximum of $900 per month per person not to exceed one year; and a funeral benefit cannot be more than $2,000 per person. Kansas law permits only motorcycle owners/operators to reject this coverage in writing.

Optional Insurance Coverage

  • Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage. Insurance companies must offer UM/UIM in a minimal amount of the bodily injury coverage purchased. UM coverage purchased must include a UIM provision that equals the limits of UM coverage if UIM coverage bodily injury limits.

Special Rules for Motorcycle Owners

  • Motorcycle owners can reject required PIP coverage, so long as the rejection is in writing.

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.

Free Case Review
First Name
Last Name
Briefly describe your injuries