Connecticut Car and Motorcycle Insurance Law

Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $20,000 per person injured in any one accident and $40,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

  • Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage. Connecticut requires insurance companies to offer UM/UIM coverage to purchasers of automobile liability policies. The law requires insurance companies to offer UM and UIM coverage with limits that are twice the limits of bodily injury liability coverage actually purchased. If purchased, the coverage must be at least be equal to that required for bodily injury coverage.

Special Rules for Motorcycle Owners

  • Connecticut does not require insurance companies to offer UM/UIM coverage to motorcycle owners.
  • An insurer who issues liability insurance policies for motorcycles must offer a premium discount (of at least 10% on premium charges) on to any principal operator of a motorcycle who provides proof of successful completion of the novice or advanced motorcycle training course offered by the Department of Transportation or another course approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. The discount is applicable for any policies issued for delivery or renewed on or after October 1, 1987, and is applicable for a period of five years from the original effective date of the discount. The course must be completed within one year prior to the initial application of the discount or, for subsequent applications of the discount, within one year prior to the expiration of the current discount period. The discount is not applicable to physical damage insurance coverage for motorcycles.

Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.

Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.

Free Case Review
First Name
Last Name
Briefly describe your injuries