Winter Weather Alert: Use Caution
November 16, 2018 — Western Pennsylvania is experiencing winter weather that will last into the weekend. Snow and freezing rain can combine to create hazardous conditions on the road. Don’t get caught unprepared while driving, especially with busy holiday traffic.
Dangerous Travel Conditions
When the weather drops and roads get icy, keep these safety tips in mind when you’re driving:
- Give yourself extra time to get to your destination.
- Make sure to clear away ice and snow from your vehicle.
- Drive slowly, and brake gently. This will help you to avoid sliding.
- Remember that bridges and overpasses are the first to freeze.
- If you haven’t winterized your vehicle yet, now is the time to do so.
Homeowners Need to Winterize, Too
It’s not just drivers on the road who need to use caution in winter weather. If you own a home or business, it’s your responsibility to keep sidewalks and pedestrian areas clear. If someone slips and falls on your property, you could be held responsible for their injuries.