Exploding E-Cigarettes Prompt FDA Action
Just before Thanksgiving, a New York man suffered serious burns to his leg after his e-cigarette reportedly exploded in his pocket while he was shopping at a local wine store. A month later, a California man's pants caught fire after his vape pen burst into flames while he was riding a bus in Fresno.
Sadly, they aren't isolated incidents.
The federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports that between 2009 and January 2016, there were 134 incidents of e-cigarette batteries overheating, catching fire, and even exploding—and those were only the events that were reported.
A study conducted by the Center for Tobacco Products said those incidents have "resulted in life-threatening injury, permanent disfigurement or disability, and major property damage"—and the FDA is finally taking notice.
The FDA announced recently that it will host a two-day public workshop in April to gather information and discuss safety concerns related to e-cigarette batteries. The event will feature medical experts, manufacturers, distributors, and more. It will also allow members of the public to comment.
The workshop comes in the wake of an FDA decision to regulate e-cigarettes the same way it does traditional tobacco products. But the FDA isn't the only part of the federal government taking notice.
Last month, U.S. Sen. Charles Shumer—a Democrat from New York—referred to e-cigarettes as "ticking time bombs" and called on the FDA and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to take action.
The defective product attorneys at Edgar Snyder & Associates agree that action is needed—especially at a time when the use of smokeless tobacco is skyrocketing among Americans of all ages.
Until then, it's important for e-cigarette users to educate themselves on ways to prevent a product fire or explosion. If you are an e-cigarette user:
- Keep it cool. Don't store your e-cigarette in your hot car, or even your pocket—ion batteries are prone to overheating.
- Keep batteries separated. If one lithium battery explodes, there is a chance that others that are stored nearby may overheat, catch fire, or explode, too.
- Use the proper charger. Use only the charger that your e-cigarette came with—others may charge the device too quickly, causing it to overheat or explode.
If you or someone you love use e-cigarettes, we urge you to please be mindful when carrying, charging and storing them. Our skilled product injury lawyers have seen what happens when products that are supposed to be safe hurt people instead—causing serious and sometimes even lifelong injuries.
If you've been injured by an exploding ion battery or other defective product, don't go it alone. Product liability cases are complex and confusing—but we can help. Call us today for a free case review. There's never an obligation to use our services, and there's never a fee unless we get money for you.