CDC Launches Online Resource to Help Workers Stay Safe on the Road
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recently launched a web resource that will help companies keep their employees safer when they have to get behind the wheel for work.
That’s because motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of work-related deaths. This statistic does not discriminate based on company or job type. In fact, anyone who works near a vehicle or needs to drive one for work may be at risk.
Understanding Travel Risks
Do you, your family members, or your friends travel for work? If so, it is important to consider these statistics:
- Motor vehicle crashes are nearly double any other work injury, accounting for 1,723 deaths in 2014.
- 58 percent of motor vehicle deaths at work are not caused by employees who have vehicle operated jobs (such as truck, taxi, or bus drivers).
- Long-haul truck drivers have a one in three chance of being in a serious accident during their careers.
Median lost workdays for crash victims:
- 11 days if involved in a crash on a public roadway
- 17 days if involved in a crash off a public roadway
- 20 days if a pedestrian is struck by a motor vehicle
How Can You Protect Yourself?
No human is perfect and accidents happen, but educating yourself is the first step in reducing the chances.
The leading causes of crashes include:
- Distracted driving (texting, eating, reading, etc.)
- Driving under the influence
If you have to drive for work, remember these safety tips:
- Avoid distractions in the car
- Be well-rested for the drive
- Avoid aggressive driving
- Give yourself plenty of time
How Can Companies Protect Their Employees?
If you are a business owner, you may wonder how you can improve your employees’ safety on the road. By educating employees and rewarding them for their safety efforts, many companies have seen a drastic drop in workplace accidents.
It is important to take action by:
- Establishing protection policies and systems for workers on the road
- Requesting input from workers while forming safety policies
- Reducing road travel when possible
At Edgar Snyder & Associates, our workers’ compensation attorneys have seen the devastation caused by on-the-job vehicle crashes. If you or a loved one has been involved in a work-related accident, don’t delay. Call us today and we will help you get the money you deserve.