In July 2000, a young man got in his car and started the drive home to celebrate his mother's birthday. He had just graduated from the Naval Academy two months earlier. Instead of welcoming him at their front door, his parents were awoken at 4 a.m. by a knock on the door and the life-changing words, "John didn't make it." Their son, John Elliott, had been killed by a drunk driver.
A recent survey by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) found that 73% of adults 21 and older had “been at an event and witnessed someone try to drive home after drinking too much.” During the year-end holidays, if you witness a similar situation at a holiday party that you are hosting—take action. You could not only save innocent lives but prevent yourself from substantial fines and possible jail time if underage drinkers are involved.
In the United States, most consumers trust that food products inspected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will not infect them with a dangerous foodborne illness spawning days of stomach cramps, fever, and diarrhea. However, food poisoning outbreaks in the U.S.—particularly Salmonella—occur all too frequently, and a new report says the USDA’s Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) isn't doing enough to keep our food Salmonella-free.
Pittsburgh’s age, climate, topography, and budget create a “perfect storm” for one of the most overlooked yet destructive hazards on the roads: potholes. They cause accidents, damage to cars, and are a safety risk to both pedestrians and bicyclists. If an accident stemming from a pothole causes damage and loss in a driver’s life, who is responsible?
Albert Lexie, the genial 71-year-old who earned his living shining shoes at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, has recently captured the hearts of many in his hometown due to his incredibly generous spirit.
Manufacturers have marketed antibacterial soaps as superior to standard suds for decades, however new evidence suggests that antibacterial soaps may not prevent the spread of germs and might even pose health risks to consumers.
Pittsburgh recently held its first “Accessibility Meetup.” This endeavor, organized by local disability advocates, seeks to make Pittsburgh as barrier-free as possible for those with disabilities.
A popular IKEA lamp intended to brighten the rooms of millions of children recently lead to the tragic death of one child and another young child’s near-death experience. Now, IKEA is recalling millions of the “SMILA” lamps due to the potential strangulation risk posed by the lamp’s cord.
The threat of a potential car accident does not always prevent some drivers from breezing through red lights if they believe law enforcement is not watching. However, now Pittsburgh motorists will have another reason to consistently obey traffic signals: a $100 ticket automatically sent to drivers who run red lights.
As part of the "Click-it-or-Ticket" and "Steer Clear" programs many Pennsylvania drivers have received citations for neglecting to wear seat belts or failing to slow down while passing a roadside accident. State Police and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) claim traffic enforcement programs like these are finally making PA's roads safer, just in time to kickoff this year's holiday traffic enforcement program: "Operation Safe Holiday."
New study says between 2003 and 2010, injuries related to high chairs and booster seats increased by more than 22 percent.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced the recall of thousands of Philips automated external defibrillators (AED) that might not perform during a cardiac emergency. The defibrillators are designed for home use and for use by emergency responders.
Portable red plastic gas cans pose fiery danger to consumers
New Law Gives FDA Greater Authority to Regulate Drug Compounders
Today, I was graciously invited back to speak at the 2013 YIELD Teen Driver Safety Summit organized by the Teen Driver Safety Summit Youth Advisory Board and Shaler High School senior, Maddie Seel. I was greeted with an “Edgar! Edgar! Edgar!” chant as I walked to the front of the gymnasium to speak about my personal experience dealing with distracted driving accidents. The energy in the room from this wonderful group of students was nothing short of amazing.
The holidays are a time for cozy sweaters, home cooked meals, and family time spent around the fireplace. But for many families struggling just to get by, these experiences are often luxuries beyond reach. That’s why 10-year-old Emma Maphis is wishing a “warm and fuzzy” holiday for all this year.
Trey Trybus, age 6, and Grace Jasper, age 9, both of Cambria Heights Elementary, won a $100 gift card and for their winning artwork submitted to the Edgar Snyder "My Holiday Wish" Coloring Contest. Their submissions were chosen from more than 800 entries from across Western Pennsylvania.
Adelle Schott is the Grand Prize winner of the 10th Annual Edgar Snyder & Associates "My Holiday Wish" Coloring Contest. For her original creation, Edgar Snyder & Associates donated $1,000 to McKnight Elementary in her honor and awarded her with at $250 gift card. Her artwork is also featured on the cover of the law firm’s 2013 holiday greeting card.