Published on May 22, 2008 by Edgar Snyder

What to Do if You're Hurt on the Job in Pennsylvania: Steps to Take Once You've Reported Your Injury

Hurt on the Job

Here are important steps to take after you've reported your Pennsylvania on-the-job injury to your employer:

1. Now that you checked to see if your employer has a Panel of Physicians, you need to see an approved doctor for medical treatment. If your employer doesn't have a Panel of Physicians posted, you can see your own doctor. It's important to visit a physician because their diagnosis of your injury will dictate your eligibility for workers compensation.

2. If the doctor you visit places you on leave from work for more than seven days, you will want to file a "loss of wages" claim to start receiving workers comp checks. You are only eligible to receive payments for your first seven days of lost wages if you are off work and placed under a doctor's care for 14 days or more.

3. After you've taken these steps, your employer must either accept or deny responsibility for your on-the-job injury. If they accept, you'll receive a "notice of compensation payable" or a "temporary notice of compensation payable." A temporary notice means that your employer will pay for your treatment for the first 90 days. If they deny responsibility, you'll receive a "notice of compensation denial." If your employer denies responsibility for your injury, you should seek help from a Pennsylvania workers comp lawyer.

I hope that these tips help injured workers understand the work comp process better. For more information about denial of benefits, check out Denied Workers Comp Benefits in PA from our Workers Compensation Information on our law firm's website.

Free Case Review
First Name
Last Name
Briefly describe your injuries