Pennsylvania Bicycle Safety Law
Edgar Snyder & Associates is Here to Explain Drivers' and Bikers' Rights and Responsibilities
Thousands of people are injured in bicycle accidents every year. Pennsylvania has passed a new bicycle safety law to help save lives.
Bicyclists and drivers: Please share the road. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Here's what you need to know about the new law:
- When passing an operator of a pedalcycle, drivers must allow at least four feet between their vehicle and the pedalcycle.
- Drivers are permitted to cross the center double yellow line if necessary to provide the required four feet as long, as it is safe to do so.
- When traveling below the posted speed limit, operators of pedalcycles must keep to the right side of the road unless it is unsafe to do so or unless they are making a left turn or riding on a one-way street.
- If there is only one travel lane, operators of pedalcycles may use any portion of an available roadway that has a width of not more than one lane of traffic in each direction in any circumstance to avoid hazards on the roadway.
- No turn by a driver can interfere with those operating a pedalcycle who is proceeding straight on a roadway while operating in accordance with Chapter 35 (relating to special vehicles and pedestrians). Drivers attempting to turn left must yield the right of way to operator of the pedalcycle traveling in the opposite direction.
- It is illegal for motorists to force an operator of a pedalcycle off of the road, and drivers who do this may face criminal charges.
At Edgar Snyder & Associates, we've seen the devastation caused by bicycle accidents, and we've made it a priority to promote the importance of bicycle safety. Know the laws and check out these bicycle safety tips as well. If you want to learn more about Pennsylvania's bike safety law, listen to this interview with Edgar Snyder & Associates partner Attorney Richard Rosenthal:
Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
Whether you ride a bike for fun or for exercise, bicycle accidents can rip lives apart. If you or a loved one was in a bicycle accident, we're here to help.
Call us any time at 1-866-943-3427, or fill out the form at the top right of this webpage for a free legal consultation. There's no obligation to use our services, so you have nothing to lose. You can also use our easy and convenient "click-to-call" service.