Missouri Car Seat and Booster Seat Laws
Rear-Facing Car Seat
Law states no preference.
- Children 3 years and younger must be in a child safety seat.
- All children who weigh less than 40 pounds must be in a child safety seat.
- Children ages 4 through 7 years who weigh at least 40 pounds but less than 80 pounds and who are 4'9" or shorter must be in either a car seat or booster seat.
Children ages 4 and older who weigh at least 80 pounds or who are 4'9" or taller must be secured by either a booster seat or a seat belt.
- Children 4 years and older who weigh at least 80 pounds or who are at least 4'9" tall must be in either a booster seat or seat belt.
- All children 4 years and older who weigh 80 pounds or more or who are taller than 4'9" must be in a seat belt.
- All children 8 through 16 years must be in a seat belt.
Children under 16 should ride in the back seat.
Fines & Penalties
Maximum fine for first offense is $50; $10 for violations regarding children over 80 pounds or over 4' 9".
Need more information on state laws? Learn more about the laws where you live.
Note: Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia. This information is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, although if you are injured in an accident, we have relationships with other personal injury attorneys and lawyers throughout the United States.
Source: "Child Passenger Safety Laws." Governors Highway Safety Association. Updated September 2011.
All of our lawyers are licensed to practice in the state of Pennsylvania. We also have lawyers licensed to practice in Ohio, and West Virginia and we associate with experienced attorneys in other states.
The materials at this web site have been prepared by our Law Firm for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion on any specific facts or circumstances. These materials do not, and are not, intended to constitute legal advice. Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. The information provided at this site is subject to change without notice. Although we try to keep our site current and accurate, you should not rely on this information or its applicability to any specific circumstances without speaking with an attorney.