Dos and Don’ts if You’re in a Car Accident – Accident Advice
Did you know there are more than six million car accidents each year in the U.S.? We see them all the time when we’re on the road. Still, it’s hard to imagine that the person being lifted into an ambulance at the scene of a car crash could be us or someone we love.
Being in a car accident is overwhelming and confusing, especially if someone is seriously injured. You or a friend or family member might need to go to the hospital. Police cars have arrived on the scene. You have insurance claims to think about. Everything has changed in the blink of an eye.
So how do you protect yourself if you are in a car accident? There are certain key things you should do and should not do to help yourself and your case.
Follow this list of Dos and Don’ts to make sure you protect your rights. If you haven’t been in a car accident yet, keep a copy in your vehicle so you’ll know what to do…just in case.
- Do immediately call for medical help if someone is injured.
- Do call the police. They’ll document the accident and gather facts at the scene where the accident happened. If you don’t call them, it’ll become your word against the other driver’s.
- Do exchange information with every person involved in the accident, including: address and phone number; license plate number; the make, model, and year of the vehicle; insurance information; car registration number; and license number.
- Do get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses – including bystanders and passengers.
- Do keep a disposable camera in your car or use your camera phone to take pictures of the accident, damage to your vehicle, and the area where the accident happened.
- Do collect any physical evidence that could have caused the accident or made it worse.
- Do gather details: draw a diagram of the accident; note the date and time; write down what the weather was like at the time; record the location, including any landmarks; and any other information that might be important.
- Do report the accident to your insurance agent as soon as possible.
- Do call an experienced attorney. Our highly rated law firm sends accident investigators to collect valuable evidence for our clients’ cases. Remember, evidence disappears quickly, so it’s important to contact us right away.
- Do follow our steps to take after a car accident.
- Don’t panic. Try to remain as calm as you can and call for help.
- Don’t leave the scene of the accident.
- Don’t discuss the accident with anyone except the police.
- Don’t accept blame for the crash, and don’t accuse the other driver either.
- Don’t forget to document and take pictures of everything, especially your vehicle.
- Don’t speak to anyone from the at-fault person’s insurance company before talking with a lawyer. If you give a statement or allow yourself to be recorded "for accuracy purposes," they’ll use it against you later.
- Don’t sign any papers an insurance company gives you.
- Don’t agree to a settlement of your case until you get legal
- Don’t wait. The longer you wait to get legal advice, the harder it may be to prove your case and build the value of your case. Edgar Snyder & Associates offers a free legal evaluation with no strings attached, so you have nothing to lose. Contact us now.
Seriously Hurt in a Car Accident?
Since 1982, Edgar Snyder & Associates has helped thousands of people injured in all types of car accidents. When you hire our law firm, you get an experienced legal team that is on your side every step of the way:
- Gathering all the evidence and details to build your case
- Fighting insurance companies that don’t have your best interest in mind and anyone else at fault
- Dealing with your medical bills
- Handling confusing, time-consuming paperwork
- Taking the worries off your hands so you can focus on getting better
You can trust our law firm to fight for your rights and get you the money you deserve. And as always, there’s never a fee unless we get money for you – so you have nothing to lose.
DON’T Wait – DO Contact Us Now
We can’t turn back the clock, but we can do the next best thing – give you peace of mind and get you the money you need to get your life back on track.
Contact us immediately at 1-866-9-4EDGAR (1-866-943-3427) or submit your info online for a free legal evaluation.