PA Bus Accident Statistics
About 17,000 children visit emergency rooms annually due to school bus-related accidents. And an average of 19 school-age children die in traffic crashes involving school-related transportation every year, both as riders and pedestrians.
More school-age pedestrians have been killed between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. than any other time of day.
Please note that most 2011 and 2012 national bus accident statistics and 2012 Pennsylvania bus accident statistics have not yet been released. Please check back frequently for updated bus accident stats and facts.
2011 Pennsylvania Bus Accident Statistics
- More than 4,400 persons were involved in bus crashes in 2011. However, only 1 person was killed.
- 91 percent of all those involved in bus crashes in 2011 suffered no injury at all.
- The total number of school bus crashes in 2011 increased from 2010.
2010 Pennsylvania Bus Accident Statistics
- There were 599 commercial buses involved in traffic crashes in 2010. Two people died.
- There were 379 school buses involved in traffic collisions in Pennsylvania in 2010. No occupants died.
2009 U.S. and Pennsylvania Bus Accident Statistics
- In 2009, there were 221 fatal bus crashes in the U.S. (5% of total fatal crashes); 89 involved school buses, and 77 involved transit buses. More than 10,000 were injured.
- In Pennsylvania, there were 631 commercial bus crashes; 458 of them caused injuries, and 6 were fatal.
- In Pennsylvania, there were 414 school bus crashes in 2009. Of those, 233 caused injuries, and 4 were fatal. However, of those killed in the school bus-related crashes, the four who died were the drivers or passengers of the other vehicle involved.
2008 U.S. and Pennsylvania Bus Accident Statistics
- In 2008, 19 people (riders or drivers) of school transportation vehicles died in accidents. Twenty-one pedestrians died in school transportation-related crashes.
- In Pennsylvania, there were 3 fatal school bus crashes and 218 accidents that resulted in injuries in 2008. There were 6 fatal crashes involving commercial buses, as well as 501 crashes that caused injuries.
- In 2007, 1,083 bus accidents were recorded with injuries – 446 involving school buses and 637 involving a commercial bus.
- Four school bus crashes and 10 commercial bus crashes ended in deaths.
- In 2006, Pennsylvania recorded 1,145 bus accidents with injuries – 523 involving school buses and 622 involving a commercial bus.
- There were 12 school bus crashes that resulted in fatalities and 10 commercial bus crashes resulting in fatalities in 2006 in Pennsylvania.
- There were 1,160 bus accidents with injuries recorded in 2005 – 491 involving school buses and 669 involving a commercial bus.
- Five school bus crashes and 13 commercial bus accidents resulted in deaths.
Looking for more statistics? View our accident statistics page.